February 21, 2014

No small thing to lose yourself.

Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents. Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.”


I shared this moment for us to consider which one is the small offering after all? Is it little out of much? Or all out of little? What are we giving? Who to? Why?

I've been living anxious over money, security, calling. Things I can't control and can't rush. And in His merciful love, God's been calling this to mind: Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.

It is no small thing to put in everything, whatever it may be, to lose yourself for His sake. 


This is a Five Minute Friday post. The word for today is Small.

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. A lot of thought went into this--for being such a short post. I love it! Thank you for making me think today; I enjoyed reading this and am glad to have stopped by. I found you at the SITS Sharefest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ann for reading! And for your sweet comment, praying you have a hope-filled weekend. ~Rachel

    ReplyDelete